Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Day Without Computer Scientists Just Wouldn't Be The Same

Today I send out a thank you to the people I don't know in the computer science world who led to my having a successful day. Sometimes you just have to look at the big picture and be grateful.

I'm writing a textbook and it is deadline time. Big Deadline Time. So there have been some very long days and nights lately, and I want to thank:

The computer scientists who created word processors so that I was able to write until 4:30am last night and still have the results be legible.

The computer scientists who created Quicken so that I could fly through it early this morning and pull out the information I needed for my lunchtime meeting with my accountant even though I was a few neurons short of a full brain.

The computer scientists who created spreadsheets so that I could fly through one of mine and extract lots more data to bring with me to my accountant meeting even though I had forgotten to eat due to the missing neurons.

The computer scientists who created whatever software my accountant was using such that she was able to cheerfully do her job even though she was talking to a zombie.

The computer scientists who created the Internet and email so that I could send off my latest book chapter to my editor, after I got back from the accountant meeting, without having to try and navigate my way to a post office.

The computer scientists who invented external devices so that I can be creating a backup of all those files even as I write this.

The computer scientists who invented the computer that made all of this possible!

What would a day be like without computer science? I shudder at the thought.

1 comment: